Nov 29, 2009

C3PO and Job Hunting

I got this from {codesqueeze} using my preferred RSS reader, Google Reader.

This is another lessons learned derived from the Star Wars saga. Remember the scene in Stars War IV (A New Hope) when Uncle Owen was looking for a droid and he chanced upon C3PO. Here is a transcript of their conversation.

Uncle Owen: You, I suppose you're programmed for etiquette and protocol.
C-3PO: Protocol? Why, it's my primary function, sir. I am well-versed in all the customs
Uncle Owen: I have no need for a protocol droid.
C-3PO: Of course you haven't, sir. Not in an environment such as this. That is why I have been programmed in
Uncle Owen: What I really need is a droid who understands the binary language of moisture vaporators.
C-3PO: Vaporators? Sir, my first job was programing binary load lifters very similar to your vaporators in most respects.
Uncle Owen: Can you speak Bocce?
C-3PO: Of course I can, sir. It's like a second language to me. I'm a-
Uncle Owen: Yeah, alright. Shut up. I'll take this one.
C-3PO: Shutting up, sir.


Max Pool surmised that 3 simple rules regarding job hunting or even job security could be learned from this conversation. From these 3 rules, quoting him, "It is always better to gain new experience and skills; however, do not worry about lacking the knowledge of everything the universe has to offer. Proving that you know how to learn, unlearn, and relearn is the greatest thing you can offer an employer."



No comments:

Post a Comment